Cancer Care Navigators
Nurse navigators are patient educators and advocates, care coordinators, healthcare "insiders" who work to improve the cancer experience from diagnosis through treatment. They serve as a bridge to all services available to those receiving cancer treatment at King's Daughters.
Navigators are your trusted resource, confidant, and friend ... to you and your family.
Our navigators help ease the burden of the cancer journey. They help coordinate your care so you receive the right treatment, a the right time, in a way that is convenient and accessible to you.
Your navigator is your resource from first diagnosis through recovery and beyond. Your navigator will make sure you know what is happening, why, and why it's important. They:
- Teach. About your specific cancer and available treatments.
- Support. By answering questions, teaching you ways to reduce stress and manage physical and emotional challenges.
- Represent you. Navigators attend treatment planning meetings and bring back recommendations, ask questions you may have and ensure every member of your care team is informed.
- Help. The navigator can help lessen obstacles to care, including arranging transportation to and from treatment; managing finances and insurance coverage; meeting dietary needs; talking through relationship challenges; and enhancing communication.
- Coordinate. Our navigators can schedule appointments to minimize your travel, direct you to needed services, and connect you with community resources.
- Facilitate. They bring together others with cancer to discuss common concerns, raise awareness of cancer in the community and provide health screenings.
Working with Physicians
Navigators work with physicians across all specialties, including lung specialists, surgeons, oncologists, radiation specialist and pathologists to discuss the plan of care. With this knowledge and involvement, navigators can guide you in seeking information and making informed decisions.
Helping with Treatment
Your cancer navigator will be with you every step of the way. Their sole focus is to ensue you get the very best care possible in a timely and efficient way. They will touch base with you frequently to ensure that your changing needs are known and met across the entire continuum of care.