Breastfeeding: The Healthiest Choice
Breastfeeding not only provides health benefits during infancy but also throughout your child's lifetime. If you breastfeed, your baby is likely to have:
- Fewer colds, respiratory and ear infections
- Fewer urinary tract infections
- Fewer allergies
- Less gastrointestinal problems (constipation and diarrhea) because breast milk is easier for babies to digest
Breastfeeding your baby also reduces the risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS).
If you breastfeed for one year, your baby is less likely to develop a risk of diabetes, asthma, heart attack, stroke and Crohn's disease. Breast milk has been shown to increase the baby's IQ.
Advantages for Mom
- Decreases the risk of breast cancer. The longer the total lifetime of nursing, the lower the risk of breast cancer.
- Protection against ovarian cancer
- Return to pre-pregnancy weight sooner
- Protection against osteoporosis
- Breast milk is free
- Decrease healthcare costs because mother and baby are healthier
- Reduced waste in landfills
King's Daughters provides breastfeeding support through educated team members and a board-certified lactation consultation during hospitalization and after discharge. If you have questions please call (606) 408-2244.